Ask a COVID-19 Question
- The Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services has confirmed 3,101 cases of COVID-19 in Namibia. 715 of these cases have recovered, and there have been 19 fatalities.
- The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.
- The Government of Namibia declared a State of Emergency in response to COVID-19 and announced the following restrictions:
- Closure of all points of entry (air, land, and sea).
- Comprehensive restrictions on cross border movement except for the transportation of essential goods.
- All returning Namibians, Permanent Residents of Namibia, and certain categories of professionals with valid Work Permits entering the country must submit to a COVID19 PCR test on arrival and will be subject to a 14-day quarantine in government facilities at their own expense.
- All non-Namibians entering the country must present a negative COVID-19 PCR test result, valid for 72 hours before entering Namibia.
- Public gatherings of more than 100 people are prohibited.
- A phased reopening of schools will began in June 2020 and will continue through July until all students have returned to class.
- No internal travel restrictions, other than for the Walvis Bay, Swakopmund, and Arandis Local Authority Areas. Travel restrictions for the Walvis Bay Local Authority Area will be in place until midnight on Monday, 31 August 2020.
- Internal travelers will be subjected to health screenings at checkpoints throughout the country.
- Domestic air travel is permitted with social distancing in place.
- Public is required to wear face masks in public and in all types of transport – public or private.
- Activities across all productive sectors of the economy are permitted, subject to proper personal protective equipment.
- International commercial flights are not available out of Namibia, and will not resume until at least September 18, 2020.
- The U.S. Embassy in Windhoek will continue to inform U.S. citizens of any upcoming repatriation flights departing Namibia. At this time, one potential flight is being planned.
- U.S. citizens who want to be included on any potential repatriation flights should immediately fill out this Repatriation Form. Please fill out one per traveler.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
All foreign travelers are currently banned. Only Namibians, Namibian Permanent Residents, and certain categories of professionals with valid Work Permits are permitted to enter the country. Upon entry they must submit to a COVID19 PCR test on arrival and will be subject to a 14-day quarantine in government facilities at their own expense. All non-Namibians that fall into the above categories and plan to enter Namibia must present a negative COVID-19 PCR test result, valid for 72 hours before entering Namibia.
Namibian citizens, permanent residents, and certain work permit holders returning to Namibia must submit to a COVID19 PCR test on arrival and will be subject to a 14-day quarantine in government facilities at their own expense.
- Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services: http://www.mhss.gov.na/corona
- If you believe you have symptoms of COVID-19 or may have been exposed, please contact +264-0800-100-100 to seek direction from the Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services.