- The Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services has confirmed 11 cases of COVID-19 in Namibia.
- The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.
- The Government of Namibia declared a State of Emergency in response to COVID-19 and announced the following restrictions:
- Suspension of the issuance of visas on arrival at the Hosea Kutako International Airport and the implementation of a travel ban on foreign nationals (by air and sea) from affected countries including the Schengen states, China, Iran, Korea, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, and Japan.
- Mandatory screening for COVID-19 will be conducted at all ports of entry, and roadblocks will be established to screen inland travelers.
- All returning Namibians and Permanent Residents of Namibia will be subject to a 14-day supervised self-quarantine.
- Public gatherings of more than 50 people will be prohibited.
- Schools are closed until April 14, 2020.
- Travel restrictions will be in place for the Khomas and Erongo regions beginning Friday, March 27, 2020, and lasting until April 16, 2020.
- Commercial flights are no longer available out of Windhoek.
- The U.S. Embassy in Windhoek is actively pursuing several flight options to return U.S. citizens from Namibia to the United States. These options include working with European diplomatic missions in Windhoek to collaborate on repatriation flights to European cities with commercial connections to the United States and working with other U.S. Embassies in the region to arrange emergency flights from Windhoek through neighboring countries with commercial connections to the United States.
- U.S. citizens who want to be included on such a repatriation flight should immediately fill out this Repatriation Form. Please fill out one per traveler.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
U.S. citizen travelers will be denied entry to Namibia starting March 18, 2020.
Travelers who are considered high-risk of COVID-19 due to symptoms and recent exposure in a country with active transmission may be taken to an isolation facility for treatment.
- Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services: http://www.mhss.gov.na/corona
- If you believe you have symptoms of COVID-19 or may have been exposed, please contact +264-0800-100-100 to seek direction from the Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services.