Ask a COVID-19 Question
- The Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services has confirmed 22 cases of COVID-19 in Namibia. Of these, 14 have recovered.
- The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.
- The Government of Namibia declared a State of Emergency in response to COVID-19 and announced the following restrictions:
- Closure of all points of entry (air, land, and sea).
- Comprehensive restrictions on cross border movement except for the transportation of essential goods.
- All returning Namibians and Permanent Residents of Namibia will be subject to a 14-day quarantine in government facilities.
- Public gatherings of more than 50 people are prohibited.
- A phased reopening of schools will begin in June 2020.
- No internal travel restrictions, other than for the Walvis Bay Local Authority Area. Travel restrictions for the Walvis Bay Local Authority Area will be in place from May 28, 2020, to at least June 8, 2020, due to recent epidemiological developments. Travelers will be subjected to health screenings at checkpoints throughout the country.
- Restrictions on the number of people in vehicles are in place – no more than 3 individuals in 4-seater vehicles; no more than 4 individuals in 7-seater vehicles.
- Domestic air travel is permitted with social distancing in place.
- Public is required to wear face masks in public and in all types of transport – public or private.
- The following activities are not allowed: contact sports, gambling houses, casinos, and night clubs.
- Other activities across all productive sectors of the economy are permitted, subject to proper personal protective equipment.
- International commercial flights are not available out of Namibia.
- The U.S. Embassy in Windhoek will continue to inform U.S. citizens of any upcoming repatriation flights departing Namibia. At this time, one potential flight is being planned.
- U.S. citizens who want to be included on any potential repatriation flights should immediately fill out this Repatriation Form. Please fill out one per traveler.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
All foreign travelers are currently banned. Only Namibians and Namibian Permanent Residents are permitted to enter the country and are subject to quarantine.
Namibian citizens and permanent residents returning to Namibia will be subject to a 14-day quarantine in government facilities.
- Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services: http://www.mhss.gov.na/corona
- If you believe you have symptoms of COVID-19 or may have been exposed, please contact +264-0800-100-100 to seek direction from the Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services.