Location: Namibia (countrywide)
Event: COVID-19 Weekly Update
Unless emergent situations require more frequent messages, the U.S. Embassy in Windhoek will now be sending weekly updates on COVID-19 in Namibia.
The Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services has confirmed 16 cases of COVID-19 in Namibia. Six of these cases have recovered, and no new cases have been announced since April 5, 2020.
On April 14, 2020, the Namibian Government announced that it is extending the lockdown countrywide until midnight on May 4, 2020. Additional information about the measures in place can be found on the Namibian Presidency’s Facebook Page.
The U.S. Embassy in Windhoek is not aware of any additional flights departing Windhoek at this time, nor is it planning any future repatriation flights.
If you are a U.S. citizen remaining in Namibia, please verify that you have registered in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). As a reminder, the Consular Section is not currently taking appointments for routine services, and staff are working remotely in compliance with Namibian Government lockdown instructions. Should you have an inquiry for the Consular Section, please contact us at ConsularWindhoek@state.gov. If you have an emergency involving a U.S. citizen, please contact the Embassy at +264-61-295-8500.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19, and the Centers for Disease Control issued on March 27, 2002 a global Warning Level 3 Travel Health Notice to avoid nonessential international travel.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Namibia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Windhoek, Namibia
14 Lossen St., Ausspannplatz, Windhoek
+264-61-295-8522; +264-85-686-0853 (U.S. citizen emergencies after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Namibia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter