Location: Namibia (countrywide)
Event: Walvis Bay Lockdown Measures Expanded to Erongo Region
The Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services has confirmed 31 cases of COVID-19 in Namibia. Sixteen of these cases have recovered, and there have been no fatalities.
On June 8, 2020, the Namibian Government announced that the Stage 1 lockdown measures in effect for the Walvis Bay Local Authority Area will be expanded to the entire Erongo Region beginning tonight, June 8, 2020, at midnight. These restrictions will remain in place until at least midnight on June 22, 2020. This time will be used to conduct expansive testing in the area surrounding the known cases in the region. Additional information about the measures that will be in place from midnight on June 8, 2020, can be found on the Namibian Presidency’s Facebook page and Twitter page. The rest of the country remains under Stage 3 restrictions.
The U.S. Embassy is aware that Qatar Airways is considering offering a special commercial flight out of Windhoek on either June 11 or 12, depending on demand. We will share any details we receive from Qatar Airways regarding the details of this flight as soon as they are available. If you have not yet expressed your interest in a repatriation flight and would like information on future flights, please fill out one Repatriation Form per potential traveler and you will be contacted by the U.S. Embassy.
If you are a U.S. citizen remaining in Namibia, please verify that you have registered in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). As a reminder, the Consular Section is not currently taking appointments for routine services, and staff are working remotely in compliance with Namibian Government lockdown instructions. Should you have an inquiry for the Consular Section, please contact us at ConsularWindhoek@state.gov. If you have an emergency involving a U.S. citizen, please contact the Embassy at +264-61-295-8500.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19, and the Centers for Disease Control issued on March 27, 2002 a global Warning Level 3 Travel Health Notice to avoid nonessential international travel.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Namibia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Windhoek, Namibia
- 14 Lossen St., Ausspannplatz, Windhoek
- +264-61-295-8522; +264-85-686-0853 (U.S. citizen emergencies after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 202-501-4444
- Namibia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter