Location: Namibia (countrywide)
Event: COVID-19 Weekly Update, New Restrictions Implemented
The Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services has confirmed 3,406 cases of COVID-19 in Namibia and 22 deaths.
On August 12, 2020, the Namibian Government announced that the entire country will revert from Stage 4 to Stage 3 of Namibia’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic from midnight on August 12 until at least midnight on August 28, 2020. The Namibian Government also announced that the measures currently applicable to the Walvis Bay, Swakopmund and Arandis Local Authority Areas will be expanded to include the City of Windhoek Local Authority Area, including Okahandja and Rehoboth Local Authority Areas. Travel within these Local Authority Areas is permitted, though travel into and out of these Local Authority Areas to the rest of the country is restricted to emergency situations only. The Government also announced a curfew for these restricted areas between 20:00 and 05:00 daily. Only individuals with a permit identifying them as essential service providers are exempt from this curfew. Further information about these and additional measures can be found on the the Namibian Presidency’s Facebook page and Twitter page, as well as the Ministry of Health and Social Services Facebook page.
Namibia’s borders remain closed to non-Namibians, with the exception of permanent residence permit holders and certain professionals with valid work permits. All Namibians and non-Namibians entering the country must submit to a COVID-19 test on arrival and mandatory, government-supervised quarantine at their own cost. All non-Namibians must also present a negative COVID-19 test result valid for 72 hours before entering Namibia.
The U.S. Embassy in Windhoek has been informed that Lufthansa will operate a repatriation flight departing Namibia on August 22. Seats on this flight can be booked through the following Namibian travel agencies: Rennie’s Travel, Trip Travel, XL Travel Professionals, and Expert Travel. The flight will depart Windhoek at 00:15 local time on August 22, and arrive in Frankfurt at 10:35 local time. Pricing is as follows: Economy Class, EUR 977; Premium Economy, EUR 1,381; Business Class, EUR 2,106. Onward travel can also be booked through the agencies listed above or by the individual traveler.
WestAir Aviation will operate a repatriation flight departing Namibia on August 29. Seats on this flight can be booked through Dunas Safari. The flight will depart Windhoek at 21:00 local time on August 29, and arrive in Frankfurt at 07:30 local time on August 30. Pricing is as follows: Economy Class, EUR 830.00; Premium Economy, EUR 1,150; Business Class, EUR 1,650. Onward travel should be booked by the individual traveler.
If you have not yet expressed your interest in a repatriation flight and would like information on any future flights, should they become available, please fill out one Repatriation Form per potential traveler and you will be contacted by the U.S. Embassy.
If you are a U.S. citizen remaining in Namibia, please verify that you have registered in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). As a reminder, the Consular Section is only offering limited routine services, and staff are working remotely to the greatest extent possible. Should you have an inquiry for the Consular Section, please contact us at ConsularWindhoek@state.gov. If you have an emergency involving a U.S. citizen, please contact the Embassy at +264-61-295-8500.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Namibia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Windhoek, Namibia
- 14 Lossen St., Ausspannplatz, Windhoek
- +264-61-295-8522; +264-85-686-0853 (U.S. citizen emergencies after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 202-501-4444
- Namibia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter