Embassy of the United States of America
Health Alert – U. S. Embassy Windhoek, Namibia – November 27, 2021
Location: Southern African Countries
Event: On November 26, the White House announced a travel restriction due to the detection of a variant of SARS-COV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, in Namibia. The policy does not apply to U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents and certain other categories of travelers. See the text of the announcement here. The new restrictions will take effect on November 29.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice – Do Not Travel for Namibia. Subsequently, the Department has updated the Travel Advisory for Namibia to Level 4 – Do Not Travel.
U.S. citizens wishing to depart Namibia currently have limited options via commercial air. Transportation schedules can change without notice. Please check with carriers regarding flight cancellations and/or restrictions. The U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens to have a departure plan that does not include government assistance.
Please see contact information for airlines operating from Namibia and South Africa below.
Hosea Kutako International Airport (WDH) – Windhoek, Namibia
*See Security Alert about transit through Addis Ababa.
O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB) – Johannesburg, South Africa
- Delta + 1 800 221 1212
- Qatar Airways + 27 21 831 1039 or + 1 877 777 2827
- United Airlines + 1 800 864 8331
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the CDC website for the latest guidance regarding testing requirements.
- Check with your air carriers or travel representative prior to departure for the United States.
- Check COVID-19 Country Specific Information pages for updated information on COVID-19 related to the availability of testing.
- Visit travel.state.gov to view individual Travel Advisories for the most urgent threats to safety and security.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Click here for our Travel to the U.S. FAQs.
U.S. Embassy Windhoek, Namibia
+264 61 295 8500
State Department – Consular Affairs