Location: Windhoek, Namibia
Event: Message to American Citizens Regarding New COVID-19 Namibian National Response Measures
The Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services has now confirmed seven cases of COVID-19 in Namibia.
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 global pandemic, the Namibian government announced that internal travel restrictions will apply with respect to Khomas and Erongo regions beginning on March 27, 2020. Private individuals are urged to remain home and avoid public gatherings.
Additionally, the government extended the ban on entry to Namibia to citizens from all countries, which already included the United States.
We are in close contact with the Namibian government and will be sending out more information in the coming days on exactly what the new government measures mean for U.S. citizens in Namibia.
On March 19, the Department of State advised U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.
If you wish to depart Namibia, please continue to work with your airline or travel agency to book a commercial flight as soon as possible. If you intend to stay in Namibia, we recommend citizens prepare to manage their and their families’ needs for the foreseeable future.
Please continue to check our website and travel.state.gov for updated information, and enroll in STEP to get our alerts.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Namibia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Windhoek, Namibia
14 Lossen St., Ausspannplatz, Windhoek
+264-61-295-8522; +264-85-686-0853 (U.S. citizen emergencies after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Namibia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter