Message for U.S. Citizens: Verify Your Authorized Period of Admission Before Leaving the Immigration Counter

The United States Embassy in Namibia continues to receive reports of U.S. citizen visitors being admitted into Namibia for fewer than the maximum allowable 90 days.  In some cases, U.S. citizen visitors have been admitted for as few as seven days despite requesting longer periods of admission.

Before leaving the immigration counter, please verify that you have been given permission to stay in Namibia for the duration of your intended visit (up to the maximum allowable 90 days per calendar year) and that you have been given a correctly dated entry stamp, also known as a Visitor’s Entry Permit, by Namibian immigration officials.

Entry stamps are closely scrutinized upon departure from Namibia.  Overstaying the time permitted, even by a single day, could lead to fines and/or detention and arrest.

U.S. citizens are not entitled to 90-day admissions into Namibia.  Namibian immigration officials retain broad authority to admit visitors for fewer than 90 days at their sole discretion.

If you would like to extend your stay in Namibia beyond your initially authorized period of admission or if you discover that you have overstayed your authorized period of admission, please visit a Ministry of Home Affairs, Immigration, Safety and Security office immediately.  You should use form 3-1/0069 to apply to extend your Visitor’s Entry Permit.  A copy of this form is attached to this notice.

Visitors requesting an extension must provide a detailed itinerary that includes information about your flight or overland journey out of Namibia.  If your application to extend your authorized period of admission is approved, you will be required to pay a processing fee of N$ 600.00 (approximately $40.00 USD).

Questions about how to complete the application form should be directed to the Ministry of Home Affairs.  The Embassy is unable to assist you with completion of the form or provide guidance on how to answer specific questions.

Ministry of Home Affairs offices are numerous and spread throughout the country.  In Windhoek, you can apply for an extension by visiting:

Ministry of Home Affairs, Immigration, Safety and Security
Counters G4 – G6
Corner of Hosea Kutako Drive and Harvey Street
Erf 6971
Windhoek, Namibia
+264 81 951 0184

Embassy of the United States of America
14 Lossen Street
Windhoek, Namibia

U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
+1 (888)-407-4747 or +1 (202)-501-4444
Namibian Country Specific Information
Enroll in the Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and X

Application for Renewal or Extension of Visitor’s Entry Permit (PDF 328 KB)