Event: Attacks on Cyclists on Detour of Kuferberg Landfill Road
The U.S. Embassy in Windhoek advises U.S. citizens that there have been four attacks in the last six weeks on cyclists on the new detour road towards Kuferberg Landfill Road off of Highway C26 in Windhoek. Reports of four men attacking cyclists with stones and knives have been reported to police, but there have been no arrests. The most recent attack was on a middle-aged man who was robbed and stabbed on the new section of the road on the hill incline. In this incident, which took place at 17:30, robbers even stole the man’s shoes. U.S. government personnel are now prohibited from the Kupferberg Landfill Road until further notice.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the Kupferberg Landfill Road.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- United States Embassy Windhoek, Namibia, 14 Lossen street,
Ausspannplatz, Windhoek, +(264)(61) 2958522, email email@example.com. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens +(264)(85) 6860853
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Namibia Country Information Sheet
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter