Security Alert: U.S. Embassy Windhoek (September 10, 2021)
Event: U.S. citizens are urged to be cautious and vigilant when living and traveling abroad given the potential threat of terrorist attacks and extremist action against U.S. citizens and interests. As the 20th anniversary of September 11th approaches, the possibility for violence overseas may increase.
Locations where crowds gather such as hotels, restaurants, nightclubs, shopping malls, foreign diplomatic missions, religious institutions, government offices, airports, and public transportation or transportation hubs are especially vulnerable.
Actions to Take:
- Have a contingency plan for emergencies and review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- Maintain a low profile.
- Report any suspicious activities or security incidents to local police.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities especially in an emergency.
- Avoid crowded places.
- Monitor media and local event information sources and factor updated information into your travel plans and activities.
- U. S. Embassy/Consulate
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.