The U.S. Embassy in Windhoek has received reports of a planned demonstration on Sunday, December 31 starting at 8:00 a.m. The demonstration will begin at St. Mary’s Cathedral and travel to the SADC offices opposite the Namibian Police Station, John Meinert Street, Independence Avenue, and conclude at the U.S. Embassy.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Namibia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Windhoek, located at 14 Lossen street,
Ausspannplatz, Windhoek at +(264)(61) 2958522 or by email at email@example.com. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(264)(85) 6860853.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow the Embassy on
- Follow the Bureau of Consular Affairs on Twitter and Facebook.