If you are a U.S. citizen (or non-citizen national) and have a child overseas, you should report their birth at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate as soon as possible so that a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) can be issued as an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship or nationality.

CRBAs are issued to both U.S. citizens and non-citizen nationals. A CRBA documents that the child was a U.S. citizen at birth. The CRBA neither serves as proof of the identity of the child’s legal parents nor is it intended to serve as proof. In general, the name or names listed on the CRBA are the U.S. citizen or national’s parent(s) who have a genetic or gestational connection to the child. The name of the parent(s) through whom the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship is made must be listed on the CRBA. A parent who is not transmitting U.S. citizenship may be listed on the CBRA with consent of the parent who is transmitting U.S. citizenship.

  • You can apply for a CRBA by completing Form DS-2029. Please note the application must be signed in front of a consular officer, notary public, or other person qualified to administer oaths.
  • If one parent is not a U.S. citizen or if the U.S. citizen parent who is transmitting citizenship to their child is not present when applying for a CRBA, that parent should complete Form DS-5507 as supporting evidence, and it can be used to list the periods of time they spent in the United States.
  • If the child was born out-of-wedlock, and the father is a U.S. citizen or non-citizen U.S national, use Form DS-5507 to acknowledge the child and voluntarily agree to financially support them. Form DS-5507 may be signed in front of a notary or at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

The CRBA application fee is USD 100.00. Payment can be made in U.S. Dollars, Namibian Dollars, or South African Rand. We also accept all major credit cards.

You may also apply for your child’s U.S. passport when you submit your child’s Report of Birth Abroad application. Please visit our passport page to learn more about passport applications for minors.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) Checklist

Click here to visit the Department of State’s website to find out if your child may qualify for U.S. citizenship.

A U.S. official can only determine citizenship as part of a formal application. We are unable to pre-assess applications or advise on the likelihood of issuance before that process. If you think your child may have a claim, we encourage you to apply.

  1. Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA): Click here to complete and print form DS-2029. Do not sign the form until you are asked to during your child’s appointment.
  2. Application for a passport: Click here to complete Form DS-11 online. After you have answered the questions, Form DS-11 will generate as a PDF file. You must print the form because it will not be submitted to us electronically. Do not sign the form until you are asked to sign it during your child’s appointment.

Photos must be 2″x 2″ (51 x 51 mm) in size with a background that is plain and white and free of shadows. Eyeglasses are not allowed in your photo.

A full list of photo requirements can be found here.

In many cases, the U.S. citizen parent(s) must present proof of their physical presence in the United States. Physical presence is the actual time the U.S. citizen parent was physically within the borders of the United States before the child’s birth.

Please double-check the transmission requirements on the Department of State’s website to see what evidence you may need to provide and over what period of time.

Examples of physical presence may include:

  • Education records or transcripts.
  • Employment records.
  • Current and expired passports with evidence of travel to the United States. If you traveled on your parent’s passport as a child, you show entry and exit stamps in their passports.

Other proof may be accepted depending on the circumstances of your case. Please bring as much documentation as you have. You can discuss this with the consular officer during your appointment.

  • Application forms
    – Completed, unsigned CRBA application Form DS-2029.
    – Completed, unsigned passport application Form DS-11.
  • The child’s U.S. passport photograph.
  • Evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States before the child’s birth, if applicable.
  • The child’s birth certificate: your child’s original, long form Namibian birth certificate including the parents’ full names.
  • Proof of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship. Original U.S. passport(s) or Certificate(s) of Naturalization.
  • If one of the parents is not a U.S. citizen: their passport or other government issued photo ID.
  • If the child’s parents are married: the original civil/legal marriage certificate.
  • If either parent has ever been married in the past: the original divorce decree or death certificate for all previous marriages.
  • If the child has been issued with a passport of another nationality: their Namibian and/or other nationality passport or identity card.
  • Documentation if a parent cannot attend the appointment (see information below).

For Passport Applicants Under Age 16

Both parents must attend with the child and present evidence of parentage (such as child’s birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad, listing parents’ names) and government-issued photo identification. If only one parent or legal guardian attends, please see information below.

If any custodial parent is not able to attend, they must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent. The form can be downloaded here (PDF421 KB).

Please note: The notarized DS-3053 must be less than three months old.

If you have sole legal authority to act on behalf of the child, we require official documentation.  Examples include:

  • Original copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent;
  • Complete court order granting sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order;
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply solely for the child’s passport;
  • Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent;
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person;
  • Certified copy of the death certificate for non-applying parent.

Passport Applicants Aged 16-17

Applicants should be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The accompanying adult must present government issued photo identification. If a parent or legal guardian cannot accompany the applicant, evidence of Parental Awareness must be presented in the form of:

  • A signed note from legal parent or legal guardian with a photocopy of their ID.
  • Proof that legal parent or legal guardian is paying the application fees.
  • Please note, we may ask the applicant to submit a notarized statement from their legal parent or legal guardian (e.g., on Form DS-3053) which states he or she supports the applicant receiving a passport. The statement must be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian’s ID.

Additional documentation may be requested depending on the circumstances of the case. You will be advised during your appointment if additional evidence is required.

When scheduling the appointment, you should make a written note of the following:

  • Choose ‘Report the birth abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen and/or apply for the child’s first passport.’
  • Book the appointment in the child’s name.
  • Print or write down the appointment date and time, confirmation number and password (you will not receive booking confirmation or appointment reminders by email).

Each applicant requiring a service must have a separate appointment.  Remember to schedule the appointment in the name of your child.  Your child must accompany you to the appointment.

When you book the appointment, it is vital that you print or note down your password and the appointment date and time. You will not receive an automated appointment confirmation email or reminder emails.

Click Here to Schedule an American Citizen Services Appointment

If the child is under the age of 16: $100 for the CRBA application and $135 for the passport application.

If the child is 16 or 17: $100 for the CRBA application and $165 for the passport application.

  • Credit or Debit Cards: Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club, Discover or American Express.
    Card transactions are made in U.S. dollars and may be subject to additional fees applied by your card provider. We cannot accept contactless payment of any kind.
  • Cash: in U.S. dollars, Namibian dollars, or South African rand. Payment in multiple, mixed currencies is not permitted. There is no ATM on site.

These timelines are estimates only. Some cases may take longer. We will contact you when your documents are ready for pick-up.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad: 4-6 weeks

U.S. Passport: 2 weeks

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

My child was born in Namibia and is now in the United States

It is not possible to apply for a CRBA within the United States. If your child has not yet been documented as a U.S. citizen, click here to find out how to apply for a U.S. passport for your child in the U.S. Their claim to citizenship will be adjudicated as part of the passport application process.

My child was born in Namibia and is now in another country

Visit the website of the U.S. embassy or consulate to find out how to apply for a CRBA for them in that country.

If you believe that your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship after checking the transmission requirements, you should follow the instructions on this webpage to apply for a CRBA and first U.S. passport in Namibia.

After your child’s appointment in Namibia, we will forward the CRBA application to the embassy or consulate with jurisdiction over your child’s birthplace. Therefore, processing will take longer than normal. You will be advised further during the appointment.

If your child is not eligible for citizenship, it may be possible to apply for expeditious naturalization for them under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000If your child is adopted, click here for additional information.

If the Child Citizenship Act does not apply to your child and they wish to reside in the United States indefinitely or permanently, they may be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa. Click here for more information.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is official evidence of citizenship for children under the age of 18 born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s) who acquired citizenship at birth.

All U.S. citizens are required to enter and exit the U.S. using a valid U.S. passport. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you resolve your child’s claim to citizenship before your child’s first journey to the United States.

U.S. passports for children under the age of 16 must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.  Please sign your name on the line and print the child’s full name above the signature. Print the words “BY MOTHER” or “BY FATHER” next to your signature.

The Embassy does not keep copies of CRBA certificates on file. However, you may apply for a copy of a CRBA certificate through the Department of State in the United States. Click here to find out how.