Eligibility for a CRBA

  1. Eligibility for a CRBA
  2. Transmitting Citizenship

Birth of a Child

If you are a U.S. citizen in Namibia and your child is born here, we can help you obtain proof of U.S. citizenship for your child. Please review our Consular Report of Birth Abroad checklist which outlines all of the application requirements. Once you have all the required documents, please schedule an appointment.

At the time of the interview, we will need to see the documents, the child, and both parents. You may also apply for a first-time passport for the child at the same time. Please see our guidance on passports for minors. Note that for minors under age 16, passport applications generally require the signature of both parents in person. You may also apply for a Social Security number for your child.

U.S. citizen parents should register their children as soon as possible but it is imperative that registrations take place before the children reach 18 years of age. A Consular Report of Birth Abroad cannot be prepared if the child is 18 years old or more at the time the birth is reported. Persons born abroad who are more than 18 years of age, and who believe they have a claim to U.S. citizenship, but who have never been documented as a U.S. citizen, should apply to the nearest American consular office for information and assistance in investigating their claim to U.S. nationality.