Renounce Citizenship

  1. Renounce Citizenship
  2. Social Security Numbers

Renounce Citizenship

Loss of U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration. It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality. If you decide that this is the course of action you wish to pursue, there are several steps you need to take including scheduling an appointment to come into the Embassy to sign the Statement of Understanding, the Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire and/or the Oath of Renunciation, in the presence of a Consular Officer.  Due to the complexity of the renunciation process, please email the Consular Section to schedule an appointment: Please do NOT schedule an appointment via our website.

Remember that expatriation is a personal right and can never be exercised by another person (including parents and/or legal guardians).

Become familiar with legal requirements and possible expatriating acts before beginning this process. Pay particular attention to your right to request an informal initial appointment to discuss your possible loss of citizenship with a consular official over the phone or in-person prior to your final interview. For questions related to expatriation tax and possible tax implications, please consult with the Internal Revenue Service.

Before beginning this process to apply for a Certificate of Loss of Nationality you must review the legal requirements as well as the consequences and ramifications of renouncing U.S. citizenship.

To renounce U.S. citizenship, you must voluntarily and with the intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship:

  • appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer, in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate)
  • sign an oath of renunciation
  • pay a US$2,350.00 fee

On the day of your appointment, you will execute the following forms. You are advised to familiarize yourself with these forms prior to your interview.

Required Documents:

  • Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (such as your most recent U.S. passport or U.S. birth certificate, if you are not in possession of your U.S. passport)
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, if applicable
  • All current, valid foreign passports
  • Certificates of Naturalization for any country, including the United States, if applicable
  • Certificates of Citizenship for any country, including the United States, if applicable
  • Evidence of any name changes, if applicable (for instance marriage or divorce certificates, court orders or deed polls)

U.S. citizens cannot renounce their citizenship by mail, through an agent, or while in the United States because of the provisions of section 349(a)(5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Renunciations that do not meet the conditions described above have no legal effect.

Your Loss of Nationality application and supporting documents will be forwarded to the Department of State in Washington, D.C., for consideration and adjudication, a process that takes between 3-6 months. U.S. citizenship documents will be retained until the Loss of Nationality is adjudicated by the Department of State. At that time, the Embassy will contact you with their determination.

Understanding the Renunciation of Citizenship:

 Total Loss of Rights of Citizenship

A person who wants to renounce U.S. citizenship cannot decide to retain some of the privileges of citizenship, as this would be logically inconsistent with the concept of renunciation.  A person who attempts to retain some rights lacks a full understanding of renouncing citizenship and/or lacks the necessary intent to renounce citizenship. The Department of State will not approve a loss of citizenship in such instances.

Dual Nationality / Statelessness

If you renounce your U.S. citizenship and do not already possess a foreign nationality, you may be rendered stateless and, thus, lack the protection of any government. You may also have difficulty traveling as you may not be entitled to a passport from any country.  Even if you are not stateless, you would still be required to obtain a visa to travel to the United States or show that you are eligible for admission pursuant to the terms of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).  You could be barred from entering the United States if found ineligible for a visa or the VWP, under certain circumstances. Nonetheless, renunciation of U.S. citizenship may not prevent a foreign country from deporting an individual back to the United States, in some non-citizen status.

Tax & Military Obligations /No Escape from Prosecution

Also, renouncing your U.S. citizenship may have no effect whatsoever on your U.S. tax or military service obligations.  (Contact the Internal Revenue Service or U.S. Selective Service for more information).  In addition, the act of renouncing U.S. citizenship will not allow you to avoid possible prosecution for crimes which they may have committed in the United States or escape the repayment of financial obligations previously incurred in the United States or incurred as United States citizens abroad.

Renunciation for Minor Children

Parents cannot renounce U.S. citizenship on behalf of their minor children.  Before an oath of renunciation will be administered under Section 349(a) (5) of the INA, a person under the age of eighteen must convince a U.S. diplomatic or consular officer that he/she fully understands the nature and consequences of the oath of renunciation, is not subject to duress or undue influence, and is voluntarily seeking to renounce his/her U.S. citizenship.