Emergency Financial Assistance

Embassies can assist Americans abroad who are temporarily destitute due to unforeseen circumstances. Americans who find themselves in these circumstances should contact the State Department’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747 (during business hours). Consular officers can help destitute Americans contact family, bank, or employer to arrange for transfer of funds. In some cases, these funds can be wired through the Department of State. For information on how a consular officer can help under these circumstances, see http://travel.state.gov/travel.

Transferring Money from the United States to Namibia

Except in extremely rare circumstances, private U.S. Citizen should transfer money through private service providers such as MoneyGram.

Sending Money via State Department — Office of Overseas Citizens Services (OCS) 

Note: This Option Is A Last Resort. See Moneygram and Bureau De Change Options Below.

This service is available only to U.S. citizens in emergency situations. Depositors establish a trust account in a recipient’s name to forward funds overseas. Upon receipt, the Department cashes their cashier’s check or money order and telegraphs the Embassy, authorizing next- workday disbursement. The recipient must contact the Embassy to receive the funds. Unless there is some overriding consideration requiring payments in U.S. dollars, funds are normally disbursed in local currency.

Moneygram Location in Windhoek Area


Namibia Bureau De Change
Trip Building Levinson Arcade
Tel: 061-229667
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 17:00 pm
Saturday 8:30 am – 13:00 pm.

Bureau De Change

Casa De Cambio Forex
Garten Street
Tel: 061-236499