Passport Services

Elimination of Visa Page Inserts for U.S. Passports

On January 1, 2016, the U.S. Department of State eliminated visa page inserts for U.S. passports. Previously, U.S. passport holders had the option to pay for the insertion of additional 24-page visa inserts when valid passports lacked adequate space for entry or exit visa stamps. The decision to discontinue this service was made to enhance the security of the passport and to abide by international passport standards.

To mitigate the impact on frequent travelers, the Department now issues 52-page passports to all applicants outside the United States for no additional cost.

Click Here to Schedule a U.S. Passport Appointment

We adjudicate passport applications for U.S. citizens applying for the first time, renewing an expired or expiring passport, or applying for a replacement for a lost or stolen passport. We also adjudicate U.S. passport card applications. Please see the drop-down menu below for information about application forms, fees, citizenship evidence requirements, and photo requirements. We do not currently offer passport renewal by mail.

Passport applications are normally processed within ten business days. In cases of genuine emergency, a three-month, limited-validity passport can be issued on the same day the application is approved.

Click here for complete information about applying for a U.S. passport outside of the United States.

There are several types of passport application forms. Please use the Department’s passport wizard to determine which form(s) to use.

It is required by the FAST Act that applicants provide a complete Social Security Number on their application.

The form DS-11 should be used for first-time passport applications of adults, minors (ages 16 and under), and to replace a adult or minor passport that has been lost or stolen. This form requires applicants to submit an original or certified copy of their primary citizenship evidence. This can be a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, citizenship certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).

Form DS-82 may be used for adult passport renewals and extension of limited validity passports.

Form DS-5504 is for applicants requesting a change (e.g., name change after marriage) or correction of a printing error within one year of passport issuance.

In order to use the DS-82 application form, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • You must have been issued a U.S. passport in your name within the past 15 years; and
  • You must submit your most recent U.S. passport with your application; and
  • You must have been age 16 or older when your most recent US passport was issued.

In addition to the completed passport application form, you will be required to submit:

Applications that do not meet this criteria should be made using the DS-11 form.

(Note: If filling out a passport form online, you cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States).

All adult passport renewals must include the following:

  • DS-82 Passport application (Note: Applicants must provide a complete Social Security Number on their applications as required by the FAST Act).
  • Your most recent U.S. passport.
  • One passport photograph: Photo must be 2″x 2″ (5cm x 5cm) with a white background and free of shadows. No eyeglasses can be worn in the photo.
  • Passport fee payment in U.S. Dollars, Namibian Dollars, or South African Rand. We also accept all major credit cards.
  • Your previous passport will be cancelled and returned to you with your new passport.

Parents or legal guardians applying for a minor’s (age 15 and under) first-time or renewal passport must submit a completed form DS-11 [Signed only in front of the Consular Officer at the time of your appointment].

It is required by the FAST Act, that applicants provide a complete Social Security Number on their application. If the applicant does not have a social security number, they (or their guardian) must complete an attestation of no social security number.

You will also need:

  • An original or certified photocopy of their primary citizenship evidence. This can be a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, citizenship certificate or consular report of birth abroad (CRBA).
  • If renewing, the child’s most recent U.S. passport.
  • Proof of relationship to the child; for example, certified birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), adoption decree, court order establishing custody, etc.
  • Photo identification of the parents/guardians.
  • Both parents must appear together to sign the application; OR
  • When only one parent appears, the applying parent/guardian should submit Form DS-3053, signed by the non-appearing parent and giving that parent consent to issuance of the passport; OR
  • The parent should submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply alone, such as a death certificate of the non-appearing parent, or an adoption decree giving sole custody.

Each minor (child under age 16) applying for a first time new, or renewal passport shall appear in person.

Most applicants age 16-17 must apply in person using Form DS-11.

If you have your own current identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport. You must show at least one legal parent or legal guardian is aware that you are applying for a passport. For more information, please see Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program.

How to Show Parental Awareness:

  • A legal parent or legal guardian appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport. The agent or employee accepting the application will ask your legal parent or legal guardian to sign Form DS-11. Bring a photocopy of that parent or guardian’s ID.
  • Submit a signed note from your legal parent or legal guardian with a photocopy of their ID.

We may ask you to submit a notarized statement from your legal parent or legal guardian (e.g., on Form DS-3053) which states he or she supports you receiving a passport. The statement must be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian’s ID.

What to do:

  • Immediately notify the nearest Namibian Police station of the loss/theft.
  • Obtain a new passport at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. You must apply in-person.

Complete Form DS-11, Application for Passport. (Note: It is required by the FAST Act that applicants provide a complete Social Security Number on their passport application).

You will need:

Emergency passports are only issued in genuine emergencies. Evidence of the need for immediate, emergency travel should be submitted with your application. Emergency passports are typically valid for three to six months and cannot be extended. You must appear at the Embassy in person to apply using form DS-11.

When you receive your emergency passport, you will also receive a letter that explains how to obtain a regular passport after returning from your urgent travel.

If you apply for your regular passport within 1 year of the issue date of the emergency passport, you will not have to pay the fee again.

If you would like to apply for a U.S. passport, and you don’t have a Social Security number, you (minor) or (adult) will need to submit a statement, signed and dated, which includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct:  I have never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”

You can now select the binary gender option (M or F) you would like printed on your U.S. passport, even if the gender you select does not match the gender on your supporting documentation such as a birth certificate, previous passport, or state ID. We no longer require medical documentation to change the gender marker on your U.S. passport.

To request a new passport with a different gender than the one you have on your current passport, or if you are applying for your first passport, submit a new application and select your preferred gender marker. Follow the steps on this page to learn which form to submit.

Currently, the only gender markers available are M or F. We are working to add an X gender marker for non-binary, intersex, and gender non-conforming persons as soon as possible. We anticipate the process of updating our passport forms will be completed in early 2022. After this process is completed, passport applications will offer the X gender marker.

If you have changed your name by marriage or court order, you may apply for a passport in your new name by submitting your original marriage certificate or final court order.  If your U.S. passport was issued more than twelve months ago, please follow the instructions for a routine passport renewal.  If your U.S. passport was issued within the last twelve months, please use form DS 5504.

  • Adults (First-Time) – Applying with DS-11 – Age 16 and older – $165
  • Emergency – Applying with DS-11 – $165
  • Adults (Renewal) – Applying with DS-82 – $130
  • Minors – Applying with DS-11 – Under Age 16 – $135
  • Passport Card – Applying using DS-82 or DS-11 – $30

We accept cash (U.S. dollars, Namibian dollars, or South African Rand) and all major credit cards. We cannot accept checks. Applicants may also use the U.S. Passport Fee Calculator to calculate the cost of your new passport.

U.S. Embassy Windhoek
14 Lossen Street
Windhoek, Namibia