Location: Namibia (countrywide)
Event: Air Namibia Flight Time Changed; COVID-19 Weekly Update
The Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services has confirmed 22 cases of COVID-19 in Namibia. Fourteen of these cases have recovered, and there have been no fatalities.
On May 28, 2020, the Namibian Government announced that the majority of Namibia will move forward to “Stage Three” of Namibia’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic beginning at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, June 1, 2020. All fourteen regions, with the exception of the Walvis Bay Local Authority Area, will be at Stage 3 until at least June 29, 2020. The government further announced that the Walvis Bay Local Authority Area reverted immediately to Stage 1 for at least seven days, due to recent epidemiological developments. Additional information about the measures that will be in place from June 2, 2020, can be found on the Namibian Presidency’s Facebook page and Twitter page. During this time, Namibia’s borders will remain closed to non-Namibians.
The U.S. Embassy in Windhoek has been informed that the Air Namibia flight to Frankfurt and London, previously scheduled to depart on June 2, will now depart Windhoek on June 1 at 21:35 local time. If you were ticketed on this flight, please verify the new arrival times in Frankfurt and London with Air Namibia immediately in case this will affect your onward travel arrangements to the United States. The U.S. Embassy is aware that Qatar Airways is planning to offer a special commercial flight out of Windhoek, but has not yet set a date for the flight. We will share any details we receive from Qatar Airways regarding the details of this flight as soon as they are available. If you have not yet expressed your interest in a repatriation flight and would like information on future flights, please fill out one Repatriation Form per potential traveler and you will be contacted by the U.S. Embassy.
If you are a U.S. citizen remaining in Namibia, please verify that you have registered in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). As a reminder, the Consular Section is not currently taking appointments for routine services, and staff are working remotely in compliance with Namibian Government lockdown instructions. Should you have an inquiry for the Consular Section, please contact us at ConsularWindhoek@state.gov. If you have an emergency involving a U.S. citizen, please contact the Embassy at +264-61-295-8500.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19, and the Centers for Disease Control issued on March 27, 2002 a global Warning Level 3 Travel Health Notice to avoid nonessential international travel.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Namibia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Windhoek, Namibia
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 202-501-4444
- Namibia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter